WebMD.com says it's "A healthy, well-fed infant who cries for more than three hours per day, for more than three days per week, for more than three weeks."
In our house, we define it as "Baby D from 6pm-12am."
A week ago, Tuesday, Baby D began his tirade of crying. It began at about 2:00pm and didn't stop until 8:30pm. Until that point, Baby D had been the easiest baby. In fact, he was so easy that it was almost like having a little babydoll. I could cuddle him when I felt like it, and if I was busy with the big kids I could put him on the floor beside me or in the swing and he'd be just as content. He only really became upset when he as hungry. Since Tuesday, July 29th our good-natured baby has been swapped for the colicky, preciousness of our new Baby D. The biggest difference?...A red face and ear piercing wails.
Seriously, Baby D has been sooooooooo fussy. During the day he usually only has 1 major spell. At night, however, it's another story. It usually begins anywhere from 6-7pm and can last up to 4 to 5 hours (he's not crying the ENTIRE time, we get 10-15 minute breaks before the next bought begins). Initially I called the doctor, worried that something was going on. They dismissed it as gas, especially since a bath almost always calms him down.
None of my other 3 were ever colicky, so this is a HUGE adjustment. It doesn't help that his "episodes" are during the most hectic part of our day: bath and bedtime. The big kids need our full attention and unfortunately one of us is almost always tied up with a screaming, trembling, red-faced baby.
We go to the doctor on Thursday and I plan on asking about a new type of formula, however, from everything I've read they'll probably just tell me to ride it out. They say it won't last longer than 3-4 months of age. What they don't realize is that this last 1 1/2 weeks has seemed like a month. It's so incredibly frustrating to watch Baby D in such pain and be unable to do ANYTHING to console him. Kisses, hugs, swaddling, gas meds, swinging, outside, walking, bouncing, singing, pacifiers, bottles...nothing helps. At some point we fall back on a nice warm bath, but at the end of it we're back to a screaming, ticked off baby.
As I bounce, rock, walk and snuggle Baby D during the most frustrating of times, God continues to bring James 1:2 to my mind:
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,
The part that frustrates me the most is that I don't think the birth parents have the slightest clue about his colic. After each visit, I ask the social worker "So, how was it?" Each time they respond, "Great!" I keep waiting for one of them to say, "Oh he cried the entire visit. It's so unlike him."
Part of me wants him to cry the entire visit, just so they have a taste. Part of me wants him to cry so much that they hurry up and decide that they can't manage it and relinquish. Part of me wants him to be so horrible, that 20 minutes into the visit they ask the social worker to take him and leave. God has not answered that prayer yet. I guess He thinks He knows better than me...humf! In the meantime, I'll consider it pure joy...consider it joy.

Part of me wants him to cry the entire visit, just so they have a taste. Part of me wants him to cry so much that they hurry up and decide that they can't manage it and relinquish. Part of me wants him to be so horrible, that 20 minutes into the visit they ask the social worker to take him and leave. God has not answered that prayer yet. I guess He thinks He knows better than me...humf! In the meantime, I'll consider it pure joy...consider it joy.
Oh, I feel knots in my stomach just reading about the colic. It is an awful feeling for parents. The only motherly advice I could offer is to try Alimentum formula. Your doctor would have to approve it for your WIC vouchers to cover it. It's expensive stuff and stinks terribly, but it is good for digestive problems. I find it strange that it began so abruptly but has persisted so long.
ReplyDeleteAs for the birthparents, I'll be praying. It seems these visits are pointless at teaching them about parenting or about the personality/disposition of their child. They really have no idea. It is incredibly frustrating. As hard as it would be on you, they should have to complete some supervised overnight stays. But, keep in mind, the social worker may not be divulging everything that happens to you. We can hope!
I feel your pain. Jacob was extremely colicky for a few months. At the time I thought it would never end. He would cry from supper time til 12 or 1 in the morning. After a while I finally learned to just love him through it. We would dance around the living room, bounce and lots of praying for him.
ReplyDeleteJust remember--this too will pass soon.
Aww I so feel you pain. Haylee was so colicky too and I remember some nights I would just have to bring Haylee to bed with me so that my sister could have a break. I hope that this passes soon for you all. I love you guys very much.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I love the outfit Baby D has on.
have you tried gripe water? it is a natural treatment for gas you can get at any drug store just about. works like a champ when caden has gas pain within minutes. we are NEVER without it! praying for ya
ReplyDeleteBeka
(aka Matt's sis!)
Thanks for all the advice and support. Tonight, Grace K came over and basically worked some sort of super-magic on him. He was fussy for a bit, but nothing like every other night. She was amazing. Instead of letting her go to Carolina, I think I'm gonna see if they'll let me homeschool her as well. That way, she can be our personal Nanny.
ReplyDeleteBeka, thanks for the tip. We LOVE gripewater and I've used A LOT w/ Baby D. It doesn't seem to touch his colic, which baffles me.
NO FUN! I'll be praying.
ReplyDeleteIn the mean time, I know this sounds really strange, but I work in a chirporactic clinic and the chiropractors will treat infants for colick as early as two weeks of age. Seriously--its so unreal to watch them adjust a baby and watch a baby fight and scream and then see the adjustment and hear the pure silence of calm and comfort that follows. SO STRANGE. I was completely in awe the first time I watched. I've seen a baby who was 11 days old and SUPER constipated. Dr. H. adjusted her, she stopped fussing and three minutes later had a diaper blow-out. Mom was so happy she cried! Anyway, all of that to say, you might just call and chat with a chiropractor and see what they say...
I, too, had a fussy baby. Eli was terrible!
ReplyDeleteMy girls were so great!
It was weird to have such a difference.
Eli was breast fed and oddly enough, would spit it all up (so it seemed, since the amount was HUGE) and then would cry until his next feeding (which was usually 1 hour 40 minutes later).
I really struggled during those first 3 months. I tried that gripe water and some days it worked great and other days nothing...
I remember getting a prescription for the girls when they first came home from the hospital for acid reflux. I asked Eli's doctor about it and had to fight to get the prescription. Once Eli was on it regularly, i noticed a decrease in the crying, painful screams AND the spitting up.
The medication was called Reglan and he also went ahead and prescribed Zantac.
Might be worth the try?....
i know the feeling about wanting the parents to know the "whole baby" not just the happy content SLEEPING baby. I too am foster/adopting and have two little boys in my home one of which was terribly fussy in the beginning. Of course he came from terrible conditions at 6 weeks old and had to adjust to a clean environment but he also had some other issues as well as Screams that would blow the paint off the wall and make our dogs beg to go outside in the 105 heat. "Moe" is now 5 mos old and the happiest baby in the world. WE LOVE HIM and would love nothing more than to be able to keep them both (the other is 10 mos old we've had from 7 days old). But I used to find myself praying the same prayer. Lord just let them see the side they could not handle before. Let him scream for them the entire time. Now that he has been with us this long he just looks at them and has a huge smile for me when they hand him back over. I love that. God can work Miracles I however cannot but I can work along side Him to see my miracles.
ReplyDeleteI will be praying for I too am on this foggy journey and know there needs to be more light.
I know you have tried everything and the Chiropractor thing sounds like a winner, but we used to hold him face down straddling our bent arm (hand on his tummy) and rubbing his back firmly and or laying him on his tummy and pushing his little legs to bend knees to chest under him. Just a tight little ball. and then release. Every baby is totally different but it won't hurt to give advice when you can and have been there.
Blessings