Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The day the music potty training died

Dear Two Year Old Son of Mine,

I love you so much sometimes I wonder how my heart holds all the love. I look at your big, blue eyes and your sweet smile and I know that God purposed for you to be my son long before I even thought I wanted to be a Mom.

The love I have for you is inexplicable.

As is my frustration with you today.

Today is the day the music my desire to potty train you died.

Sweet mercy. Please use the bathroom in the toilet. All of it. Not just the pee. I know you are capable because YOU'VE DONE IT BEFORE. Perhaps you prefer your Dad to be home to poop in the potty, since that's when you seem to do it best (like I'm a freaking liar who only claims that you won't poop in the potty).

If there are many more days like today, you will certainly have your wish FULL TIME. Because I, your Mother, will return to the work force and allow your Dad to play poop with you. We may make half the income we currently live on and your Dad might go crazy but, sweet mercy, I AM DONE POTTY TRAINING YOU.

Done.

You can wear diapers the rest of your life, for all I care. But be warned. If you are still crapping in your diaper a year from now, you will be changing yourself.

I refuse to get into a battle of the wills with you over the toilet and your poop. I REFUSE. So now, I will be that Mom who allows her very-capable-of-using-the-potty 2 year old to wear a diaper. I will be that Mom who, when her sweet and (not-so) innocent 2 year old lovingly says,

"Mommy. I pee pee in potty?"

will respond, probably too harshly, with, "Go in your diaper."

And when other people, who have not cleaned your poop off of things that should NEVER have poop on them, look at me and wonder why I won't rush a "ready to potty train" two year old to the bathroom at his deceleration that "I pee pee in potty, Mommy?", look at me like I'm a cruel Mother who doesn't want her boy to ditch diapers, I will ignore them.

Because, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS GOOD AND HOLY PLEASE MAKE IT STOP, I refuse to battle you over an issue that is clearly you demonstrating your willpower.

I love you immensely. Much more than I ever thought possible. But you can crap in your pants until your 4, for all I care. Consider this your warning. You have 1 year, maybe less, and you're changing your own diaper. FOREVER.

With all my heart and love,

Mommy

13 comments:

  1. I can't help but laugh (sorry!). Those were my thoughts when I tried to potty train Jacob at the age. I actually waited until summer and let him walk around in nothing but a t-shirt! It was the only thing that worked! I tried pull ups, treats, etc. I was so over it! I don't miss those days at all.

    Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, Jessica! Makes me dread the potty thing again! You know Kennedy potty trained Taylor, without me even knowing what was happening. Maybe I could FedEx her to you for say a month or so?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jessica we are fighting the same battle together again! We actually went back to diapers two weeks ago. After Grayson was almost completely trained this summer he gradually completely regressed to ONLY accidemts. I could see we were dealing with a battle of will so on that diaper went after not purchasing diapers since February or March!!! Grayson's response was "Yay diapers!!!". Yay me. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is too funny! if it makes you feel any better, i am THAT mom who tells my 2 1/2 year old son to just go in his diaper! for the record, i'm waiting until he turns 3! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. my son regressed this fall as well (at 3). He would be fine for me but would not be so when I went to work and he was at my parent's (I am a single mom and I work 40h straight every weekend). Because he was accident free for me, I knew it was him controlling the situation and punishing my parents because I went to work. I had to figure out his currency :) Which just so happened to be a battery operated ride-on dumptruck (which was given to us for free, I just had to buy the battery for it) basically I told him that it was only for 'big boys who kept their underwear dry and clean'. Every child has a currency. Because you have three older children it could be something they are allowed to do but he can only join in if he keeps things clean and dry for the day. Before I even bought a battery for it, I told him he had to be accident free for a whole weekend for his grandparents. Then after that it was a daily thing. Fortunately for me my child never touched his poop. I am SO not able to handle fecal art! Also the potty book about the boy named Joshua was a big inspiration.
    Aaron has a currency, you just have to figure out what it is...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Book recommend: Everybody Poops by Taro Gomi

    It took my daughter an entire year to potty train. I thought I would die, or kill someone. What turned the tide for us was making her clean out her dirty pants with no help. She was 3 and had been pee trained for MONTHS! I placed her in the tub with running water, and told her not to come out until she had cleaned up her mess. Tantrum city, but at least it wasn't me throwing it! It was SO much better when it was her being upset and not me! After a few weeks, I asked her if she thought she might get more play time in if she didn't have to clean out her pants all day. Light bulb moment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahahahahahahahahahahaha....

    I don't mean to laugh at your frustration... I know you really are at your wits end with this...

    but this post was funny.

    Issue- not funny. (Except a little)
    Your tone- HYSTERICAL.

    I Love you Jess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't help but laugh - only because I'm right there right NOW. So frustrating! Thanks for the humor-filled twist to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen!

    I am so much weaker than you...I have not even tried. Potty training 3 children in 3 years almost killed me. Lauren may have to wait until she is 4 too...just because it will take me that long to store up the patience.

    P.S. No potty training was in the + column for an older child adoption. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay...trust me on this...go to Walmart (except wait until Christmas is over because, yeah) and in the baby/children's section, find the plastic diaper cover thingys that they use to put over cloth diapers. Make him wear them instead of diapers. When he "goes," let him chill in them for a bit and then tell him you'll meet him in the bathtub. Seriously, it works. After sitting in his own poo a few times, he'll get the hint and go in the potty. We did this for Caton after she decided (a month after being fully potty trained) that she wasn't going to use the potty anymore. It took two days-TWO DAYS and she was through with the "icky, wet, stinky plastic panties."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe you can get your husband to do the potty training... my daughter wasn't getting it so her stepdad took over... she would do things for him that she would never do for me and it hardly took any time at all and she was completely dry (she mastered the poo part first)... she will still say "Daddy Johnny" potty trained her. I don't care WHO was responsible, I was just glad it was a done deal. Good luck!

    Been there and done that!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  12. put the diaper back on him, and a big ol' smile back on you. :) It will come--who cares what everyone else says while you tell him to go in his diaper!--and you keep your sanity. Sounds like a good bargain to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yes. I am in the exact same boat with my son who will be 3 next month. Just yesterday I texted my husband, "I am DONE cleaning up poopy underwear. Done. He can wear diapers until he starts telling us he wants to poop in the toilet." I don't even care right now that he will turn three wearing diapers. Or that I'm still changing three bottoms every day. It's better than the alternative.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!